Thursday, January 10, 2008

Owen on Mortification 8



"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it, hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart." C.S. Lewis

We need to be as diligent in pressing near to the heart of God, as we are diligent in hating the sin that keeps us from Him. And, yes, it is too easy to exchange one sin for another. "God, I haven't lusted for a whole month!" Yes, but there are worse sins than lust. Proverbs 6:16-17 warns of 7 abominations. 7 things that God hates. With these, there is no mistake.

1. Haughty eyes, or a Proud look

2. A lying tongue

3. Hands that shed innocent blood

4. A heart that devises wicked schemes

5. Feet that run rapidly to evil

6. A false witness who utters lies

7. One who spreads stife among brothers

It is easy to keep our hands clean. It is much harder to keep our hearts clean. I was angry at someone and thought to myself, "Well, if he says this, then I'll say that! And if he does this, then I will do that!" Oh my, God pierced my wicked heart. "That is a wicked scheme." He hates wicked schemes and I spent at least 20 minutes offending Him. Owen writes of not being "loose and negligent" (Owen 86) with the sins that do not trouble us as much. "God, I haven't lusted for a whole month!" Yes, but there are worse sins than lust. I find it odd, that lust is not mentioned in the 7 abominations. Don't get me wrong. Lust is a part of the sinful nature that we must mortify daily...but I do find it odd. What is also odd is how we can be pious in abstaining from sexual sins, yet think nothing of spreading strife among brothers. "Who does he think he is, to write a book like this?" I just find it odd, how we can flee gluttony and the drinking of wine, and yet think nothing of devouring the flesh of a true brother or sister in Christ... think nothing of sitting back, and smacking our lips. You know, I think it is the adulteress who sits back, wipes her mouth, and says "I've done nothing wrong." Oh my, but I digress.

I love the Tim Challies reading group. I will post weekly, God willing.

2 comments:

Kevin Sorensen said...

Thanks for the post and the mutual encouragement to continue on in reading Owen.

By the way, did you take the picture with the ham and eggs? If so, I have a reason for asking (I'm pretty sure that's a Mac laptop just barely in the top of the photo, but can't tell which model, other than ibook; you see, I'm a Mac user from way back [1987] and have this sad ability to spot them all over the place; my kids think it's a disease!)

P.S. - even though this will come up with my blogger ID, I'm the one with the Cluttered Mind!

Mrs. J.D.Darr said...

Hey Pastor Kevin!

I did not take the picture, and sadly no...I do not have a MAC :)
I wish I did because I love the graphics I've seen! I'm a tech nerd and think they're nifty! I have to use pc's because of all the programs I have...I don't want to deal with the drama of trying to make everything compatible..Vista was such a pain in the neck for me already with such silly statements as "I don't recognize this keypad or the printer, or anything else for that matter." I'm surprised it recognized itself! :)